Sunday, April 24, 2005

 

My first WM2003 App

I've finally finished this app I'm making on my Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition (aka Windows Mobile 2003). I made it out of the need to backup my SMS Messages.

One limitation of the Pocket Outlook Phone Ed. (even on the 2nd edition), is that you cannot backup your SMS folders thru Activesync. So, I've been using this freeware app called "Smartphone Studio" to do my SMS messaging, and guess what,... that's what I've been using since my first smartphone, the 02 Tanager (aka Smart Amazing Phone). Cool, huh? :) Once you've tried sending SMS using your PC (or simply typing your SMS), you wouldn't want to go back using your phone to do text messaging.

Then just recently, Smartphone studio just won't work anymore. I call it the dreaded "SMS module init failed" error message...hmmm, I just know that it's a problem on the message stores but I've been doing searches on the net for days now and I can't find any good resources.

The application I made simply displays your SMS folders and message contents and you can output to an XML file. The biggest problem I had was using that deprecated SMSReadMessage method.

If you want a copy of this app, just leave a comment and how to contact you.

Comments:
At the risk of sounding condescending, I've been there and done that. And that was 5 years ago with a Nokia 5110. Sometimes, I wonder, programming tools are moving to a higher level. But do easy things have to be made easier? Or is it because schools don't produce programmers like they used to?
 
Thanks for the comment, and I have to say that...
#1. The need for the app arose specifically for the PPC Phone Ed. because it's harder to make SMS messages on the XDA2 bec. you have to use your stylus (at least for me) and I haven't used apps like blimkeys yet. (and for Nokias, I believe simple TAPI programming would be easier to do.)

#2. I don't 'exactly' understand what you mean by "Or is it because schools don't produce programmers like they used to?" Do you mean the kinds of tools that we are now used to? pls. enlighten me. Thanks.
 
Hi there, may I know what API calls you used to retrieve sms from your phone and SIM card?

I used SimReadMessage to retrieve sms from my SIM card but it seems I am unable to retrieve a few of the sms...

Hope you can reply on your blog, I will be waiting for your kind reply :)
 
I need your help, I want to capture the received SMS, I try with mapirule.dll but I can't make run properly... I think that the alternative is SMSReadMessage, but I can't find any example. Please, can you help me?

(Sorry, for my bad english).

My email: abautistat@wanadoo.es
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?